One question we often get asked is what can you do in the garden at this time of year! We are still being kept busy being asked to provide quotes for various jobs around the garden and there are always tasks you can be getting on with in your greenhouse too! With such short days its a real struggle for many people to get anything especially outside with the cold, wet and darkness, but being positive there are a lot of little jobs that you can fit in.
What to do this month?
- Prune apple and pear trees while they’re dormant
- Stake newly planted trees firmly so they survive winter gales
- Stand pots on feet so plants don’t sit in wet compost
- Plant, or transplant deciduous shrubs and hedging
- Ensure any outside plants are protected from unpredictable frosts
- Have a really good clear out of your greenhouse and or shed
- Make sure all your bird feeders are full and topped up along with fresh water
Recently we have been meeting with our customers to discuss various garden projects which can be done this time of year too –
- Building a waterfall into a new pond
- Trimming a hedge back